Update date: Jun. 18, 2021
Tokyo University of the Arts
President, MIYATA Ryohei
(UENO Campus)12-8, Ueno Park, Taito-ku, Tokyo, 110-8714 Japan (TORIDE Campus)5000 Omonma, Toride, Ibaraki Prefecture, 302-0001 Japan (YOKOHAMA Campus)4-44, Honcho, Naka-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, 231-0005 Japan (SENJU Campus)1-25-1, Senju, Adachi-ku, Tokyo, 120-0034 Japan
(UENO Campus)+81-50-5525-2113 (TORIDE Campus)+81-50-5525-2541 (YOKOHAMA Campus)+81-50-5525-2673 (SENJU Campus)+81-50-5525-2724
(UENO Campus)+81-50-5525-2488 (TORIDE Campus)+81-50-5525-2651 (YOKOHAMA Campus)+81-50-5525-2763 (SENJU Campus)+81-50-5525-2763
Organization/Research department name (6)：
Faculty of Fine Arts, Faculty of Music, Graduate School of Fine Arts,
Graduate School of Music, Graduate School of Film and New Media,
University Art Museum, Public Collaboration Center, Training Center
for Foreign Languages and Diction, The performing Arts Center -PAC-,
University Library, Health Care Service Center, Art Media Center-AMC-,
Purpose of establishment：
Faculty of Music, Japanese Music Department was established.
Special Course (Music) was established.
Due to revision of National School Establishment Law, Tokyo Fine Arts School and Tokyo Music School were abolished.
Attached Music High School to Faculty of Music was established at Kanda Suruga-dai, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo.
Graduate School, Fine Arts Department and Music Department (Master Course) were established.
Objectives of Tokyo University of the Arts are to teach and study
technique, theory and application of specializedart in depth,as
well as to give knowledge of arts in width.
The history of the University as it is today dates back to two
specialist schools, which were both founded in 1887.
The then Tokyo Fine Arts School was the establishment on which the
present Faculty of Fine Arts was founded,while the former
Tokyo Music School became the present university's Faculty of Music.
For over half a century both of these schools fulfilled a major role
in the arts of the country, producing many fine artists and musicians.
It was not until 1949 that the two schools were amalgamated to form
the present university with its individual faculties of Fine Arts and
Since then there have been a number of changes in the curriculum as
well as the building of some new facilities in order to meet both the
demands of social change and the needs of the arts in general.
In 1963 a graduate course for a Master's Degree was added to the
curriculum, followed by a Doctoral Course in 1977, thus further
enhancing the educational and research organization of the university
as a comprehensive university of the arts and music.
More recently, in addition to an international research exchange
program for staff, the university is now actively engaged in a
number of international exchange activities, having established
student exchange agreements with a number of foreign universities,
thus opening its doors to students from all over the world.
Branch Organization (55)：
Return to Previous Page
- 2010: \ 8,061 (Million)
- 2009: \ 8,697 (Million)