Update date: Oct. 20, 2017
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology
President: TAIRA Asahiko
Headquarters: 2-15 Natsushimacho, Yokosuka-shi, Kanagawa 237-0061 Japan Yokohama Institute for Earth Sciences: 3173-25 Showamachi, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 236-0001 Japan
Number of employees：
Organization/Research department name (26)：
Subordinate facility name (17)：
-Research and Development (R&D) Center for Global Change (RCGC)
-Research and Development (R&D) Center for Ocean Drilling Science (ODS)
-Research and Development (R&D) Center for Earthquake and Tsunami (CEAT)
-Research and Development (R&D) Center for Marine Biosciences
-Research and Development (R&D) Center for Submarine Resources
-Support Vesse YOKOSUKA
-Deep Sea Research Vessel KAIREI
-Oceanographic Research Vessel MIRAI
-Research Vessel KAIMEI
-Research Vessel SHINSEI MARU
Purpose of establishment：
As requested by Japan Federation of Economic Organizations, the authorized corporation, "Japan Marine Science and Technology Center", was established based on the government and industrial investments and contributions.
The system of SHINKAI 6500 was completed.
KAIKO succeeded in the world's deepest dive in the Mariana Trench.
Mutsu Office was opened.
Washington Office was opened.
The purposes of the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (hereinafter referred to as “JAMSTEC”) are, based on the principle of peace and welfare, to strive for the improvement of the standards of Marine Science and Technology, and to contribute to the development of academic research by comprehensively conducting the Fundamental Research and Development concerning oceans and cooperating with academic research concerning oceans.
1) Conducting Fundamental Research and Development concerning oceans;
Research field (5)：
2) Disseminating the results of the activities stated in the preceding item and promoting the applications of the results;
3) Providing cooperation such as running a vessel for academic research concerning oceans by universities and inter-university research institutes,
4) Providing JAMSTEC’s facilities and equipment for use by entities conducting research and development or academic research concerning science and technology;
5) Training and educating researchers and technicians in the field of marine science and technology, and trying to improve their capabilities;
6) Collecting, organizing, maintaining, and providing domestic and international information and reference materials concerning marine science and technology; and
7) Conducting services which are incidental to the services stated in each of the preceding items.
Compound New Area
, Mathematics and Physics System Science
Return to Previous Page
- 2016: \ 33,900 (Million)
- 2015: \ 37,700 (Million)
- 2014: \ 38,000 (Million)
- 2013: \ 40,200 (Million)
- 2012: \ 47,200 (Million)
- 2011: \ 42,100 (Million)
- 2010: \ 43,100 (Million)
- 2009: \ 45,700 (Million)
- 2008: \ 43,400 (Million)
- 2007: \ 41,900 (Million)
- 2006: \ 40,100 (Million)
- 2005: \ 41,700 (Million)
- 2004: \ 40,500 (Million)