Affiliation and department：
Update date: Jan. 15, 2020
アントニ ローレンス | ANTHONY, Laurence
Homepage URL (2)：
Research field (2)：
, Foreign language education
Research keywords (4)：
Research theme for competitive and other funds (12)：
, Corpus Linguistics
, Applied Linguistics
- 2013 - 2017 The Development of a data-driven learning (DDL) open-platform based on multilingual corpora, and its applications to EFL classrooms
- 2013 - Development and Application in Teaching of an Open Platform DDL Environment Based on a Parallel Corpus
- 2011 - 2014 Development of an Intuitive Corpus Tool for Analysis of Large-Scale, Fully-Annotated Corpora
- 2011 - 2013 Development of an Intuitive Corpus Tool for Analysis of Large-Scale, Fully-Annotated Corpora
- 2009 - 2013 Towards better corpus applications in multilingual EFL classrooms using parallel corpora
Anthony, Laurence; Wulff, Stefanie; Boettger, Ryan K. Anthony, L. (1997). English for specific purposes: What does it mean? Why is it different? On-CUE, Vol. 5:3, pp. 9-10. IEEE International Professional Communication Conference. 2016. 2016-November
Caple, H., Bednarek, M., and Anthony, L. (2018). Using Kaleidographic to visualize multimodal relations within and across texts. Visual Communication. DOI: 1470357218789287
Anthony, L. (2017). Corpus Linguistics and Vocabulary: A Commentary on Four Studies. Vocabulary Learning and Instruction, 6 (2), 79-87. doi: 10.7820/vli.v06.2.Anthony
Anthony, L. , and Thompson, P. (2017, July 23-28). Automatic Creation and Discourse-Level Annotation of Individualized Discipline-Specific Corpora for the Data-Driven Learning (DDL) Classroom. Paper given at the Corpus Linguistics 2017 (CL 2017) internati
Anthony, L. , Chen, M., and Flowerdew, J. (2017, July 23-28). Introducing in-service English language teachers to corpus-assisted academic writing pedagogy: A Hong Kong case. Paper given at the Corpus Linguistics 2017 (CL 2017) international conference, U
T. Kaneeda, T. Nakayama, S. Yokomizo, S. Shimada, M. Higuchi, K. Obata, L. Anthony. Reducing diamond tool wear in oxygen-free copper precision cutting using synthetic tool materials and a N2 atmosphere. Proceedings of the 9th euspen International Conference. 2009
L. Anthony. Improving the Q&A Experience: A Collaborative Effort. IEEE PCS Newsletter. 2008. 52. 11
L. Anthony. From Language Analysis to Language Simplication with AntConc and AntWordProfiler (Summary of JAECS 2008 workshop). JACET Newsletter. 2008. 63. 2
Chujo, K., Anthony, L., Nishigaki, C., and Uchibori, A. Discovering Grammar Basics with Parallel Concordancing in the EFL Classroom (in Japanese). Proceedings of the JACET 47th Annual Convention. 2008. 105-106
Kaneeda, T., Harada, H., Nishioka T., and Anthony, L. Delayed Crack Developing on Ductile Mode-Machined Glass Surface (in Japanese). Journal of the Japan Society for Abrasive Technology. 2008. 52. 8. 454-458
Lectures and oral presentations (162)：
Anthony, L. (forthcoming). Programming for Corpus Linguistics, in M. Paquot & S. T. Gries (Eds.) Practical Handbook of Corpus Linguistics. Berlin: Germany. Springer.
Anthony, L. (2010). Presenting research in science and engineering (Second edition). Tokyo, Japan: DTP Publishing.
Noguchi, J., Miyama, A., & Okamoto, M. (with ALC-TT software written by Anthony, L.) (2007). Scientific Writing in English. Tokyo, Japan: ALC Press.
Anthony, L. (2008). Corpus wars: Struggling to find new ways to analyze and teach vocabulary. In G. R. S. Weir & T. Ozasa (Eds.), Studies in Language and Textbook Analysis, 2008 (pp. 1-10). Strathclyde, UK: University of Strathclyde Press.
Orr, T., Gupta, R., Yamazaki, A. & Anthony, L. (2008). Presenting in English to international audiences: A critical survey of published advice and actual practice. In G. Hayhoe & H. Grady (Eds.), Connecting people with technology: Issues in professional c
Anthony, L. (2018, April 27-30). Innovation in Interdisciplinary ESP: Challenges and Possibilities. Keynote speech given at the 2018 International Conference on English Education (ICEE 2018), Shih Chien University, Taipei, Taiwan.
Anthony, L. (2013, August). Workshop on Corpus Tools and Techniques for Linguistics Research. Invited workshop presented at the University of Florida, Florida, US.
Anthony, L. (2014, May). New desktop and web-based parallel concordance tools for corpus linguists. Invited lecture at University Centre for Computer Corpus Research on Language (UCREL), Lancaster, UK.
Anthony, L. (2014, February). Moving from Localized to Globalized Norms in Technical Report Writing and Presentation [科学、工学分野における英語教育 ~企業エンジニアに必要な英語力~]. Invited lecture presented at Mitsubishi Electric, Kamakura, Japan.
Anthony, L. (2013, December). 理工系英語教育プログラムの効果的なデザイン: ローカルからグローバルへの変身 [Effective Design of Science and Engineering English Programs: Changing from Local to Global Norms]. Invited lecture presented at 2nd Seminar on Engineering English Education Reform, Ehi
AntConc: A freeware corpus analysis tool
SegmentAnt: A freeware Japanese and Chinese segmenter (segmentation/tokenizing tool)
CASEC-G/GTS: Commercial writing evaluation and support tools
EXEMPRAES: A web-based interface to the EXEMPRAES (Exemplary Empirical Research Articles in English and Spanish) Corpus
ENEJE: A web-based interface to the ENEJE (English Native Edited Japanese Essays) Parallel Corpus
Professional career (3)：
- - 1991 University of Manchester Institute of Science and Engineering (UMIST) Mathematics Mathematical Physics
- - 1997 The University of Birmingham Centre for English Language Studies Teaching of English as a Second and/or Foreign Language (TESL/TEFL)
- - 2002 The University of Birmingham Department of English Applied Linguistics
Work history (7)：
- BSc (The University of Manchester)
- M.A. (The University of Birmingham)
- Ph. D. (The University of Birmingham (UK))
Committee career (12)：
- 1986/07 - 1986/09 Magna Colours (UK) Laboratory Assistant (Part-time)
- 1987/07 - 1987/09 Magna Colours (UK) Laboratory Assistant (Part-time)
- 1991/09 - 1993/03 Keiyu English School (Japan) Head Teacher
- 1993/04 - 1996/03 Okayama University of Science (Japan) Tenured Lecturer
- 1996/04 - 2004/03 Dept. of Information and Computer Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Okayama University of Science (Japan) Tenured Lecturer
- 2007 - 2007 IEEE Professional Communication Society-Japan Chapter Vice-Chair
- 2008 - 2009 IEEE Professional Communication Society-Japan Chapter Chair
- 2010 - Taiwan International ESP Journal Editorial Board
- 2011 - 2013 English for Specific Purposes Journal (Elsevier) Guest Editor
- 2012 - Journal of English Education Editorial Board
Association Membership(s) (2)：
Return to Previous Page
- 2018/05 - Waseda University 6th e-Teaching Award
- 2012/09 - National Prize of the Japan Association of English Corpus Studies
- 2005/10 - L'Oreal Art and Science of Color Gold Prize